Yin Yang Intarsia Lesson


Thank you to Sue Walker and Fox Chapel Publication for crediting my original yin yang Intarsia pattern in the fall 2010 issue of
Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts magazine! She started with my simple pattern and transformed it into a beautiful and wonderful coaster set project. You can find her article on page 22 of SSW&C's issue 40.

Feel free to download and try your hand at Intarsia with my original "Introduction to Intarsia: Lesson 1" instructional that inspired Sue -->here<--!

For some time I have been wanting to expand my hobbies. I remember turning a few things on my dad's lathe and using one in my middle school shop class. Early this year I finally purchased a lathe of my own. I decided on the Jet bench top 12"x20" variable speed lathe. With it I bought an assortment of Robert Sorby and Pinnacle Cryogenic turning tools, a grinder to sharpen them, and a Oneway Talon chuck. I then made my own sharpening jig for the grinder since the other items were expensive enough. A few more tools and I should be set for awhile. I hope...

Woodturning has been requiring a lot of practice along with trial and error (not to mention a small hole in my garage wall), but I'm finally starting to get the hang of it. The on-going learning experience has been based on a few things:
  • turning speeds based on material size, balance, and desired smoothness of the cuts
  • estimating tool sharpness and when to touch them up
  • the feel of turning green wood, and various harnesses of dry woods
  • proper sanding technique used to prevent scoring the wood with coarse sandpaper

The first thing I cut was a piece of walnut to practice shapes. I then turned a green miniature bowl with a natural edge (pictured), which expectantly cracked when it dried. I then turned a green mushroom (also pictured), also with a natural edge, which also cracked when it dried. I'm not sure what type of wood it was. I'll find out this spring when the tree gets its leaves. -01/2009